Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Calm Down Jar

Our version of The Calm Down Jar

I've been seeing the Time Out Jar a lot online recently and I thought it was a great idea, with one problem: it's fun! Time Outs in our house are a punishment, so why would I give my son something cool to play with while he's in trouble? Kind of defeats the purpose. So I altered it a bit to become known as the Calm Down Jar.

You know how you kid is kind of being a pest, but isn't exactly being bad? Or maybe he is bouncing off the walls and you just need him to chill out for five minutes? (Just imagining here, of course.) You know he doesn't deserve a Time-Out, but oh my gawd just give me two minutes to finish these dishes before you decide it's time for me to build another freaking Lego set!!!! Well, shake this bad boy up and tell them they have to sit still until all the glitter has floated to the bottom. Voila! A calmed down child!


You will need:


  • A jar with tight fitting lid (We used a plastic peanut butter jar.)
  • Glitter glue
  • Glitter
  • Food color
  • Water

How to:
  1. Fill jar with hot water. (The warmth helps to break up the glue.)
  2. Add glitter glue. (If you choose to make this a time out jar, there is some kind of ratio to make it last a certain amount of time. I think it may be 1 cup water to 1 tablespoon glue equals one minute of glitter floating. We did not follow any measurements and just added as much as we wanted.)
  3. Add some glitter. (Again, we just shook until we stopped.)
  4. Add food color a drop at a time until you get the color you want.
  5. Place lid on tightly and ensure seal before shaking! (Oops!)
  6. Enjoy!
Thoughts:
OK, I'll admit this isn't as cool as I'd like it to be. I was expecting it to be a bit more "floaty". Maybe we colored the water a bit too dark because the glitter doesn't stand out as much as I'd like it to. But still, as a craft it was fun to make and it really does work. Elliott actually likes when I pull it down (I keep it on top of the fridge so it doesn't lose its appeal too quickly.) and hand it to him. He knows to sit at the table and give the jar a good shake.

Elliott's Evaluation:
 "So, how I made this is I just put blue food coloring in it. Then I put sparkles all in it. Then I put a lid on it. It is good."
Woah! Not sure what's up with the overly excited face there!

2 comments: